4 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen
“We found out recently that if you try to leave a little kid in a graveyard late at night, he’ll freak out. Even if you offer to leave him a gun to protect himself. Why? It’s because on some instinctual level, all humans know it’s just a matter of time until the zombies show up.”
1. Brain Parasites : Parasites that turn victims into mindless, zombie-like slaves are fairly common in nature. There’s one called toxoplasmosa gondii that seems to devote its entire existence to being terrifying.
This bug infects rats, but can only breed inside the intestines of a cat. The parasite knows it needs to get the rat inside the cat so the parasite takes over the rat’s brain, and intentionally makes it scurry toward where the cats den. The rat is being programmed to get itself eaten, and it doesn’t even know.
half the human population on Earth is infected with toxoplasmosa, and don’t know it? Maybe you’re one of them.
2. Neurotoxins : There are certain kinds of poisons that slow your bodily functions to the point that you’ll be considered dead, even to a doctor. The poison from fugu (Japanese blowfish) can do this.
The victims can then be brought back under the effects of a drug like datura stramonium (or other chemicals called alkaloids) that leave them in a trance-like state with no memory, but still able to perform simple tasks like eating, sleeping, moaning and shuffling around with their arms outstretched.
How it can result in Zombies?
The story of Clairvius Narcisse. He was a Haitian guy who was declared dead by two doctors and buried in 1962. They found him wandering around the village 18 years later. It turned out the local voodoo priests had been using naturally occurring chemicals to basically zombify people and putting them to work on the sugar plantations.
3. The Real Rage Virus : it was a virus that turned human beings into mindless killing machines. In real life, we have a series of brain disorders that do the same thing. They were never contagious, of course. Then, Mad Cow Disease came along. It attacks the cow’s spinal cord and brain, turning it into a stumbling, mindless attack cow.
And, when humans eat the meat …
When Mad Cow gets in humans, they call it Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD). Check out the symptoms:
- Changes in gait (walking)
- Lack of coordination (for example, stumbling and falling)
- Muscle twitching
- Myoclonic jerks or seizures
- Rapidly developing delirium or dementia.
This proves widespread brain infections of the Rage variety are just a matter of waiting for the right disease to come along.
RUN.HIDE.GET WEAPONS.AIM FOR THE HEAD.DOUBLE TAP.
4. Neurogenesis : You know all that conversy out there about stem cell research? Well, the whole thing with stem cells is that they can basically be used to re-generate dead cells. Particularly of interest to zombologists like ourselves is neurogenesis, the method by which they can re-grow dead brain tissue.
Get the point here?
Science can pretty much save you from anything but brain death; they can swap out organs but when the brain turns to mush, you’re gone. Right?
Well, not for long. They’re already able to re-grow the brains of comatose head trauma patients until they wake up and walk around again.
Couple that with the new ability to keep a dead body in a state of suspended animation so that it can be brought back to life later, and soon we’ll be able to bring back the dead, as long as we get to them quickly enough.
Well, this lab dedicated to “reanimation research” (yes, that’s what they call it) explains how the process of “reanimating” a person creates a problem. It causes the brain to die off from the outside in. The outside being the cortex, the nice part of you that makes humans human. That just leaves the part that controls basic motor function and primitive instincts behind.
You don’t need the cortex to survive; all you need is the stem and you’ll still be able to mindlessly walk and eat!
So, you take a brain dead patient, use these techniques to re-grow the brain stem, and you now have a mindless body shambling around, no thoughts and no personality, nothing but a cloud of base instincts and impulses.
Some rather random, but pretty valid information for you all to take on board.